Connections Behavior Planning and Intervention is excited to welcome Dr. Vanessa Tucker, BCBA-D, for a series of webinars for Behavior Analysts! This series is designed to address the nuances of providing behavior analytic services in school settings. See Dr. Tucker’s earlier webinars, on ABA for Students with Emotional Behavior Disorders and ABA for the Acting Out Cycle, in our on-demand library.
To register for the full series (including sessions on Collaboration and Ethics), see the ABA in Schools Webinar Series page.
It’s a Different World: Understanding ABA in Schools
BCBAs and related staff (BCABAs, RBTs) are increasingly finding themselves providing services in the school setting, which is great news for our students with disabilities who benefit from ABA. As schools add this important support system to their overall programs, they too are grappling with how to define these services and to make them relevant within the current school content. The world of school is very different from home or the clinic setting. This training will provide concrete information on the nature of schools, how Special Education works, and how BCBAs and their related staff can best fit within the school culture. BCBAs and their related staff will walk away from this training with a new perspective of how the school system operates, how potential differences arise in terms of service, and how to navigate services in an effective way that builds capacity for all.
- Participants will define the main aspects of Special Education within the larger schooling system,
- Participants will discuss and explore the ways that BCBAs are currently working in schools, as well as how these situations are bringing up potential ethics issues (and how to handle them),
- Participants will define the differences between medically necessary services and the ADA/IDEA/504 services designed to promote access in schools (and how these ideals tend to collide),
- Participants will explore scope of practice issues that come up for clinical professionals in school settings.
About the Presenter
Dr. Vanessa Tucker, BCBA-Dis a board certified behavior analyst (doctoral level) who practices privately with a focus on providing program supports, interventions, mentoring and evaluations in school settings. She is also an Associate Professor of Special Education at Pacific Lutheran University in Parkland, WA. She has been teaching and/or coordinating special education programs for 25 years, and has been in the field of ABA for 10. Her primary areas of interest are the application of ABA in the school setting and behavior interventions for students with complex support needs.
Vanessa got her general and special education certification in 1995 from Western Washington University. She obtained her Masters in Low Incidence Disabilities in 2002 from the University of Washington and her Ph.D. in Applied Behavior Analysis and Autism from the University of Washington in 2009. She has worked as a special education teacher, program coordinator and consultant.
CEU’s included, and Cost to Attend:
- 4.0 Learning BACB CEU’s (must attend or view both sessions)
- $80 (CEU’s included in price)
For questions, challenges with registration, or any other needed information, please contact Dusty, Director of Continuing Education and ACE Coordinator for CBPI, LLC, at firstname.lastname@example.org.