Connections Behavior Planning and Intervention is excited to welcome Amelia Bowler, BCBA, for a webinar for Behavior Analysts! This event will focus on information about and strategies for addressing behaviors associated with Oppositional-Defiant Disorder.
In the eyes of their teachers, children diagnosed with Oppositional Defiant Disorder appear to be disrespectful, badly-behaved, difficult, inconsiderate, stubborn, and lacking in empathy. From a behaviour analytic perspective, we might describe the same behaviour as coercive, aversive, maladaptive but functional. We are trained to look for gaps in skill sets or awkward schedules of reinforcement. We are prepared to teach new skills and make adjustments to the environment, but we are less perhaps less comfortable approaching delicate topics like anxiety, impulsivity, reactivity, and trauma. Unfortunately, without acknowledging the emotional and cognitive differences of children diagnosed with Oppositional Defiant Disorder, our interventions can resemble the power struggles that children diagnosed with ODD are so familiar with. In this session, we will look at antagonism and trust through a behaviour analytic lens, and grapple with how to earn assent instead of simple compliance.
About the Presenter
Amelia Bowler, BCBA, Amelia Bowler is a teacher, writer, artist, parent, fomenter of chaos and Board Certified Behaviour Analyst in Toronto, Canada. She has written two books on the topic of Oppositional Defiant Disorder, including The Parent’s’ Guide to Oppositional Defiant Disorder, published by Jessica Kingsley Books.
- Participants will be able to describe the symptoms of Oppositional Defiant Disorder, and discuss some current problems with diagnosis and validity.
- Participants will be able to describe at least one typical behavior analytic intervention which would not be suitable for children diagnosed with Oppositional Defiant Disorder.
- Participants will be able to operationally define rapport-building behaviour, using examples and counter-examples.
CEU’s included, and Cost to Attend:
- 2.0 Learning BACB CEU’s (included with purchase)
- $40 to attend
- Includes access to the recording and presentation materials, and CEU’s.
For questions, challenges with registration, or any other needed information, please contact Dusty, Director of Continuing Education and ACE Coordinator for CBPI, LLC, at email@example.com.